Challenge yourself to four weeks of workouts that’ll level up your performance.
Every month, the Official Tonal Community comes together to do one of Tonal’s expert coach-led four-week programs. These challenges are very popular and a great way to commit to your fitness goals. For July, Coach Paul will be leading the charge with his program Good to Great. This challenge is going to be bigger and better, we’re inviting the whole community to Train Like an Athlete with Tonal.
In light of a jam-packed summer with sporting events and all the festivities coming our way, we’re dedicating July’s challenge to athletic strength and prowess. This month’s challenge will also include additional bonus activities to help you level up your game. Get ready to channel your inner athlete.
What to expect
- Train consistently. Our coaching team will provide you with a detailed calendar with two workouts a day and built-in recovery.
- Train holistically. You’ll practice daily mindset work and fuel with proper hydration like a professional athlete.
- Train together. No athlete is an island — share your progress, successes and failures with your coaches and Tonal teammates in our Facebook challenge group with shareable progress tracking templates.
Trusted by a growing athletic community, one of the best things about Tonal is you can train like a pro, and this July, you’re going to channel your inner athlete in more ways than one. Alongside Coach Paul’s four-week strength program, you’ll also be asked to complete cardio and core workouts and focus on recovery, mindset, and hydration. All of which will help you harness the building blocks of athletic strength, power, and mental fortitude.
- Work out twice a day on Tonal for the month of July
- Journal or read for ten minutes a day
- Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water per day (if you weigh 140 pounds, you would need to drink 70 ounces of water — that’s just over two liters)
- Use our daily and monthly progress trackers to keep tabs on your athletic journey and share your success
- Don’t worry if you’re traveling. You can still take part in the challenge with Tonal’s on-the-go workouts
- The challenge runs from July 1-31, 2021
- Save the date: The first workout from Good to Great with Coach Paul will take place on July 5, 2021
- Save or screenshot the daily and monthly tracker to share your success with your Tonal teammates
- Join the Train Like an Athlete Facebook Group with this link to take part in the challenge
- Bookmark this blog as your official resource for the challenge
- There will also be an awards ceremony at the end of the challenge on July 30th from 3-4 pm PT — this is your moment to celebrate your success and win prizes for participation
The program: Good to Great
If you’re looking to break through and take your training to the next level, this program with Coach Paul will help you ramp up the intensity. If this is your first challenge, Good to Great is a beginner program but more advanced members will still feel like they are getting a great workout.
- You’ll strength train four times a week for four weeks (including one Virtual Group Workout per week with Coach Paul)
- Workouts are between 20-30 minutes, so you can easily stack your strength session with another workout
- On days where there is no strength training workout from the program, you’ll be given two workouts to complete and one workout will always be recovery-based
- You have the option to join four Virtual Group Workouts with Coach Paul throughout the month
- You’ll have direct access to Coach Paul with live, weekly Q&A sessions on Facebook
Channel your inner athlete
A former professional athlete, Coach Paul has grown up playing several sports, and his inspiring teaching style will help you tap into your inner athlete. Coach Paul says that strength, power, and mindset all begin internally, and before starting this challenge it’s important to tap into your why.
“Let’s make sure before we get to our workouts and training, that we’re completely tapped into our why and reasons to care for our overall health and wellness. That will help you move with purpose, push past adversity, and most importantly help you channel the fun parts of working out! Your internal drive is what helps to develop the necessary foundation for progress and strength.
It’s important that an athlete’s mind isn’t clouded when it’s go-time. What an athlete does away from practice and the playing field can drastically enhance their performance or alter it depending on their daily habits.
Cultivating small habits to take care of your mind, body, and soul is essential. Reading, efficiently hydrating your body, and consistent rest can translate to discipline in other tasks throughout the day (like training and workouts). It will help you create space to focus, tap into that inner drive, and activate your inner athlete.”
Tips for the challenge
As Coach Paul mentioned, drinking water, recovery, journaling, and reading are a big part of July’s challenge. At Tonal, we want to help you strengthen your mind and body, and to help you with the additional tasks for the month, here are some of our recommendations.
- Keep track of your water intake by buying a big water bottle, and filling it up at the start of the day. Remember, it’s half your body weight in ounces and this amount does not include teas, coffees, or juices!
- If you plan on journaling every day, we recommend purchasing the Five-Minute Journal. It’s really easy to use and will help you get in the habit of journaling every day, practicing gratitude and setting intentions and affirmations.
- If you plan on reading for this challenge, why not take part in Tonal’s Official Book Club: Read Between the Reps for the month of July? Our book pick for this month will be The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance by George Mumford. Whether you’re an athlete, a weekend warrior, executive, or hoping to get the best out of your passions — this groundbreaking book can help you learn mindfulness practices used by athletes like Michael Jordan and the late Kobe Bryant.
Looking for some books to get started? Here are some great reads from Read Between the Reps, Tonal’s Official Book Club, that will help you channel your inner athlete.
- Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don’t Have To — Featuring advanced scientific research, Lifespan lays out strategies for how simple lifestyle changes can help with vitality and longevity. This book examines how technology, diet, exercise, and other factors have the potential to shape and alter our aging process.
- Atomic Habits — A New York Times bestseller with more than three million copies sold worldwide, James Clear’s Atomic Habits is attributed as a complete roadmap to creating habits that can help improve your life by one percent every day.
- Biohack Your Brain — Neuroscientist Dr. Kristen Willeumier reveals how to change your brain with simple and easy lifestyle modifications. You’ll read about Dr. Willeumier’s experience, as well as stories from NFL players and other clients, and learn how to leverage her research for personal solutions to boost cognitive performance and more.
- Can’t Hurt Me — In this memoir, ultramarathoner David Goggins, shares his incredible life story and reveals that most of us only tap into 40% of our capabilities. Can’t Hurt Me illuminates a path beyond pain and fear that anyone can follow to reach their full potential.
- Miracle Morning — A Bestselling book that’s been translated into 27 languages, The Miracle Morning is a six-step routine practiced every day by over 500,000 people in more than 70 countries.
Coach Paul’s Picks:
- Crushing It — Gary Vee
- The Mamba Mentality: How I Play — Kobe Bryant
- Tools of Titans — Tim Ferris
Bookmark these dates for the challenge! All events and links for workouts with Coach Paul will be available in the Train Like an Athlete group on Facebook.
- July 3, 2021, 4 pm PT: Facebook Live Q+A with Coach Paul
- July 5, 2021, 9 am PT: Virtual Group Workout — Code: CBHNS
- July 11, 2021, 4 pm PT: Facebook Live Q+A with Coach Paul
- July 13, 2021, 9 am PT: Virtual Group Workout — Code: GWXXC
- July 18, 2021, 4 pm PT: Facebook Live Q+A with Coach Paul
- July 22, 2021, 9 am PT: Virtual Group Workout — Code: KXJTW
- July 25, 2021, 4 pm PT: Facebook Live Q+A with Coach Paul
- July 30, 2021, 9 am PT: Virtual Group Workout — Code: ZABZJ
- July 30, 2021, 3 pm PT: Awards Ceremony!
Here’s your daily workout calendar. Each workout and recovery session has been chosen to complement the program you’ll be doing with Coach Paul.
Here is your monthly tracker. You can save the image and use it through the month of July. There’s a printer-friendly version or a more colorful one to share your progress on Instagram! Use #TeamTonal.
Here is your daily tracker, you can save the image and use it through the month of July to share your progress on Instagram! Use #TeamTonal.
I’ll be traveling during July, can I still participate in the Train Like an Athlete Challenge?
Absolutely! Swap any workout on Tonal for one on-the-go Mobile Workouts (you can find them in the Tonal mobile app) and just jump back in when you’re back home. Professional athletes know that consistency is key to success, and with Tonal’s Mobile Workouts you can keep up with your training.
I’m halfway through a different program, can I join the Train Like an Athlete Challenge?
Yes. You will have to leave your current program to enroll in Good to Great, and re-enroll in your previous program when you are done. You will have the choice to start from the beginning or skip ahead to where you left off.
I am a seasoned lifter and typically do advanced programs on Tonal, will this beginner program be challenging enough for me?
The beauty of Tonal is that you have your recommended digital weight for each move, so the workouts will still feel challenging. With the additional workouts on the calendar, you’re guaranteed to work up a sweat, increase your strength, and feel challenged throughout the month.
I am a beginner and I noticed some of the workouts on the challenge calendar are labeled advanced. Will I be able to keep up?
With personalized weight recommendations and the ability to replace moves within workouts, we encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try some challenging workouts. That being said, always listen to your body and feel free to use the challenge calendar as a flexible guide. If you need to swap workouts, that’s perfectly okay. Just make sure you’re getting two sessions in on Tonal per day. You’ve got this!