- Tonal now has an exciting new collection of social features to help you connect with friends and stay motivated to build strength together.
- Create a profile, find your Tonal friends and follow them, and get inspired by their workouts from your activity feed in the Tonal mobile app.
- See which workouts and programs your friends have joined when you’re browsing content.
- Share your progress and celebrate each other’s accomplishments big and small.
Anyone who works out with friends knows that the community aspect of exercise is an integral part of staying motivated and accountable. And the science backs this up: According to one study published in the British Journal of Health Psychology, having workout buddies can help you feel motivated, supported, and even encouraged to work out more.
That’s why we’re launching new social features designed to help you connect with the larger Tonal community to push your training to the next level. This new set of features allows you to create a profile, connect with your friends, and follow them on the Tonal mobile app. Now, we can all celebrate progress and cheer each other on as we get stronger together. Read on to learn how to get started.
Create a Profile
To connect with friends on Tonal, start by creating a public profile in the Tonal mobile app, which will walk you through that process step-by-step. Once you’ve made a profile, you can find and follow members of the Tonal community and share your activity. Members who follow each other can now see each other’s workouts in the activity feed, but don’t worry, you’ll get to choose what information you want other community members to see and what you’d like to keep private.
Find Motivation from Your Feed
Now that you’re set up to connect with your Tonal friends, you can use the activity feed to see what workouts your friends are crushing. You can also see your friends’ achievements on Tonal’s Home screen. Think of it as a social network for strength training.
Celebrate Progress and Receive Encouragement
Want to cheer your friends on for their progress and commitment? Choose from a variety of Tonal reactions to support and encourage your friends, applaud their progress, and flex your wins together.
Get Inspired by the Community
You can now see which workouts and programs community members and friends are enrolled in while browsing on your Tonal trainer and mobile app. This is a great way to discover workouts and programs you may not have considered before and push yourself to get out of your comfort zone — especially if you tend to do the same kind of training and want to try something new.
Share Only What You Want
You can fully customize what information you share. In your profile on the mobile app, the Social Privacy menu gives you a toggle with the option to make your profile public or private. Below that toggle, you can tap “View Profile” to edit what you share. In the “View Profile” screen, you can opt in or out of sharing the following publicly: full name, gender, age, location, workout streak, activity calendar, Strength Score, Achievements, Leaderboard status, total volume, total workouts, completed movements, and total programs.
Connect in More Ways on Tonal
If you haven’t already, take advantage of our other social and community features: Partner Workouts, Virtual Group Workouts, and Leaderboard.
- Partner Workouts allow members of your household and friends to work out side-by-side on Tonal. You do the same routine, one move after the other, and get prompted for your turn. Tonal tracks your progress separately, and the weight automatically changes based on the member, so you and your partner or friend can spend more time exercising together.
- Virtual Group Workouts allow members to work out together from their own homes. You can pick any Tonal workout and receive a code to share with other Tonal members. You’ll get to see everyone’s reps in real-time and cheer each other on throughout the workout. In the end, you’ll get a workout summary that shows you how much you all lifted together. On the last Saturday of every month at 9 a.m. PST, the Official Tonal Community hosts a Virtual Group Workout for all members to join.
- If a little friendly and healthy competition motivates you, join Tonal’s Leaderboard to see how you rank against other members in the community. The more time you spend working out, the higher you climb on the Leaderboard. To encourage you to move the way you love, every Tonal workout counts toward your score. So whether you’re stretching it out on the mat, breaking a sweat with some cardio, or lifting some serious volume, all of it will be reflected on the Leaderboard.
Head Over to the Mobile App to Get Started
You can start using our social features now on the mobile app, just make sure to manually update your app to the most recent version.
Don’t have the app yet? Download it now to access our new social and community features, advanced progress tracking, workout browsing, and even more on-the-go workouts for when you’re away from your Tonal.