Make this year all about gains, not losses.
If you’re tired of ringing in the New Year with the same old resolutions that never seem to stick, then it’s prime time to do something different in 2022. In fact, big New Year’s goals that require major lifestyle changes can be so hard for people to wrap their heads around that 63 percent drop off within the first three months with only 4 percent continuing after a year, according to a study published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. That’s why focusing on small, sustainable changes will better help you build healthy habits you can rely on all year long.
To help, Tonal is launching the new Four-Week Fast Track Challenge. This month-long program will help you build strength and boost recovery with live and on-demand workouts, increase your protein and hydration intake with delicious recipes straight from our coaches, and build long-term habits and a healthy mindset that you can take with you far beyond January. Think of this challenge as the quickest and most impactful way to set yourself up for long-term success.
A new year doesn’t mean you need to become a new you; you can be the same you—only stronger. Instead of starting yet another year thinking about how you want to lose this or give up that, you could reach for something bigger and better: gaining strength to sustain your mind and body all year long. If you’re ready to jump in, you’ll find everything you need to know about the challenge below. (Be sure to check back each week as this page will be updated with the latest information.)
The Four-Week Fast Track Challenge begins January 3, and you can sign up below to receive a motivational email each week that will include workout reminders, grocery lists, recipes, and tips to help you stay on track.
How to Take Part in the Challenge
There are two ways to join in on the fun: One, follow along with our exciting live programming, which is offered in two experience-level tracks and will be available on-demand the following day. Two, choose one of the archived on-demand programs below. Here’s what to know for each option.
Four-Week Fast Track Challenge: Live
It’s time to commit to strength training at least three times per week, and the weekly Live workouts will help you do just that. There are two tracks: one for beginner-intermediate athletes led by Coach Gabby and one for intermediate-advanced athletes led by Coach Trace. You can find all of these workouts in the Live schedule on Tonal and the mobile app.
In addition to strength training, the Four-Week Fast Track Challenge is designed to help you focus on recovery and overall well-being. Each week will feature a meditation session and supplemental workouts that include mobility, recovery, and new modalities like yoga and Pilates scheduled in-between training days. These are specifically programmed to support your strength training and help you build a workout routine for a stronger mind and body.
For example, you’ll notice that Week 2’s Strength Workout on Day 4 hits the upper body hard, so on the following day, we’ve included a chest-specific recovery session to help you bounce back fast. These supplemental workouts will be released weekly on Monday, and you can access them in the Spotlight Row on the trainer. To see the full line-up, download the Four-Week Fast Track Challenge calendar.
If the Live classes don’t work with your schedule, don’t worry—the Live Workouts will be available on-demand 24 to 48 hours after the Live airing and labeled Four-Week Fast Track. You can also choose from several on-demand programs below.
Four-Week Fast Track Challenge: On-Demand
These on-demand, four-week programs have three workouts a week, so you can train on the same days as the live classes and keep up with the supplemental workouts.
- Beginner Program: Basic Body Split, Coach Pablo
- Beginner Program: Functional Fitness, Coach Liz
- Intermediate Program: Push and Pull Power, Coach Jared
- Intermediate Program: Smart Flex, Coach Nicolette
- Advanced Program: 5×5, Coach Natalie
- Advanced Program: More Gains With Chains 2, Coach Paul
Plan Ahead With This Week’s Schedule
Fuel Your Body and Build Eating Healthy Habits
We know that how you work out is only part of the equation; how you fuel matters, too. But you don’t need to go on a trendy diet, deprive yourself, or cut out your favorite treats. The Four-Week Fast Track Challenge aims to help you add to your life, not restrict it. That’s why we’re focusing on increasing protein intake and hydration with delicious meal-prep recipes from Coach Gabby and Coach Trace.
The key to creating healthy eating habits is introducing small changes that you can sustain over a long period of time and having a plan in place that you can stick to when life gets busy. Each week, we’ll recommend one meal to focus on (breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners) so you can make small adjustments—not huge diet changes—one step at a time. Focusing on protein, hydration, and healthy meal prep can set you up for success in the future.
Tips to Help You Crush This Challenge
No matter your goals, you’ll have plenty of support. Tonal Coaches will be available in the Official Tonal Community to answer your questions (see more below), and you’ll find educational information and helpful articles on Tonal’s editorial site. In the meantime, here are the top three tips from Coach Gabby and Coach Trace to help you get started.
- Start with the grocery list: Coach Gabby will be working on her nutrition right alongside you in January. “I’m going to set myself up for success by doing my shopping for that week on Sunday,” she says. “When we talk about nutrition, it’s making sure you have what you need in the house.”
- Focus on progress over perfection: The Four-Week Fast Track Challenge is there to motivate and encourage you to kick off the year with health and balance. “The number one thing to remember is you don’t have to be perfect to be great,” says Coach Tarce. “If you slip up, just know you can hit the reset button the next day.”
- Do it with friends: Coach Gabby suggests using this challenge as an opportunity to meet and support fellow members. “There are so many people active in the Tonal community,” she says. “Use this journey to find and meet new friends. Create a mini-group to celebrate your wins, and don’t be afraid to express when you’re struggling with each other.”
To help support you, the Official Tonal Community has several events planned this January: from live meal-prep and sessions with the coaches to motivational Tonal Talks. Put these dates on your calendar.
Join Read Between the Reps in January
To understand how proper hydration can fuel your workouts and wellbeing, Tonal’s book club will be reading Quench by Dr. Dana Cohen and Gina Bria. This book lays out science-backed research on hydrating more effectively (spoiler alert: it doesn’t involve drinking a gallon of water every day), and ensuring the H2O you do consume finds its way to your muscles, cells, and connective tissues for optimal wellbeing.
- Participate in Tonal’s monthly book club by getting a copy of Quench and joining the Tonal Book Club on Facebook.
- Take part in the book club Zoom discussion on January 27, 2022, at 5 p.m., PT. Keep an eye out in the Official Tonal Community for more information.
- Thursday, January 13, 2022, 5 p.m. PT: Join Senior Community Manager, Kate Telge and Dr. Dana Cohen, co-author of Quench, to learn why there’s more to optimal hydration than drinking eight glasses of water a day. Dr. Cohen will walk through her tried-and-tested hydration method, which is said to help beat fatigue, drop weight, and heal your body.
- Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 5 p.m. PT: Join Senior Community Manager, Kate Telge and Coach Jackson for an interactive workshop where you can learn techniques to help carry the momentum created throughout the Four-Week Fast Track Challenge into the rest of the year.
- Sunday, January 9, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Join Senior Community Manager, Kate Telge and Coach Gabby to meal-prep healthy breakfasts that will fuel you all week. Here’s what’s on the menu: a hydrating smoothie, protein-packed overnight oats, and delicious mini frittatas. Grab the ingredients in advance so you can join live.
- January 23, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Join Senior Community Manager, Kate Telge and Coach Trace to meal-prep his favorite plant-based spicy coconut dal. Grab the ingredients in advance so you can join live.
Ask a Coach
The Official Tonal Community has you covered if you need some extra support. Join any weekly Ask a Coach session to get some facetime with Tonal’s coaches and ask them your questions. Send in your questions in advance via the weekly event invites.
- January 6, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Ask Coach Gabby
- January 13, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Ask Coach Pablo
- January 20, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Ask Coach Trace
- January 27, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Ask Coach Liz