This smoky, tangy salad is filled with protein and anything but boring.
How do you transform a traditional caesar salad? You take it to the grill. Not only do you grill the steak for this salad, but you also grill the romaine hearts for a minute or two to add smoky flavor to the crisp greens. Tangy yogurt, blended with fresh lemon and garlic, is a healthy upgrade for Caesar dressing and adds a cool and creamy drizzle over the warm base. Roasted pepitas and Parmesan round out the salad to make it a great cookout side or protein-filled, standalone meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yogurt Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (any fat percentage)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 ounce (about 1/4 cup) finely shredded Parmesan cheese (regular or plant-based)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 pounds lean steak, such as top round sirloin
- Kosher salt
- 1 (22-ounce) package romaine hearts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil, for brushing
- 2 tablespoons roasted pepitas
Make the dressing:
In a blender or food processor, blend or process the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, garlic, Parmesan, and salt until smooth. Taste and add salt as desired.
Grill the salad:
- Preheat a grill to high heat (450 to 500 degrees).
- Sprinkle the steak lightly with kosher salt on both sides.
- Cut each romaine heart in half lengthwise and lightly brush both sides of each piece with oil.
- Place the steak on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes more until a thermometer inserted into the center of the steak registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak and let it rest while you grill the romaine.
- Place the hearts, cut side-down, on the grill. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes, until char marks appear, then flip and grill for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Place the romaine hearts on a platter or chop and divide between 4 bowls.
- Slice the steak against the grain and place on top of the lettuce. Drizzle the dressing over the steak, reserving some to serve on the side.
- Sprinkle pepitas over the salad and serve.