This bright, spiced-up, healthy grilled chicken dish is a cookout meal you’ll love.
Grilled chicken is a protein staple, so how do you make yours stand out? A punchy citrus and garlic marinade is the star of this show. Serve the chicken with broccolini, which gets a crispy char on its florets while the stems become tender, and sweet cherry tomatoes for a healthy meal that’ll fill you up and have your loved ones raving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Additional time: 4-8 hours for marinating
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 4-5 Valencia oranges or 2-3 navel oranges)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2-3 limes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chile pepper, sliced
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil spray
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
Marinate the Chicken:
- Whisk the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, shallot, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a large measuring cup or bowl.
- Place the chicken in a gallon-size, zip-top bag, in a 9-inch square glass dish, or a ceramic baking dish.
- Add the sliced chile to the zip-top bag or scatter evenly over the chicken.
- Pour the marinade into the bag or baking dish. Seal or cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Grill the Chicken and Vegetables:
- Preheat a grill to high heat (450 to 500 degrees).
- Trim the tough stems off the broccolini and place in a large bowl. Place the cherry tomatoes in a separate bowl.
- Spritz the vegetables with olive oil spray, tossing to coat.
- Line a baking sheet or large plate with paper towels. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with the paper towels.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes until dark sear marks appear and the chicken releases easily from the grill grates.
- Flip and continue to cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees F. This can take between 10 to 15 minutes total cooking time, depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, place the broccolini on the grill or in a grill basket and grill for 6 to 8 minutes until the florets and stems are charred, flipping every few minutes to grill evenly.
- Place the tomatoes in a grill basket and grill for 4 to 6 minutes, just until the skins are starting to pucker and brown in spots.
- Divide the chicken, broccolini, and tomatoes between 4 plates and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and pepper, if desired.