- Tonal has teamed up with Tony Horton — the creator of the best-selling P90X® workout program — to launch five new workouts.
- Tony Horton’s workouts are part of Tonal’s new Live (Beta) format where your coach works out alongside you, just like in a live class.
- Tony Horton is one of the biggest names in fitness. Now you can experience his unique training style alongside Tonal’s revolutionary technology and digital weight; you’ve never experienced a workout like this before!
- For the launch of this new workout series, we sat down with Tony Horton to learn more about what being strong means for him.
We’re thrilled to announce that Tony Horton — creator of the popular P90X® workout program — is officially a Tonal coach and is bringing you five exclusive workouts (with more to come). After launching the P90X® workout series in 2004, Coach Tony became a household name, and his workout program went on to sell nearly five million copies. Coach Tony has trained many celebrity clients including Usher.
Coach Tony’s workout series is part of a brand new Tonal workout format called Live (Beta), where your coach works out with you — just like in a live class! Our Live (Beta) workouts combine the energizing feeling of working out alongside a coach with Tonal’s ability to count your reps and wait for you to complete each set. Coach Tony’s new series will feel like a live workout, but it’s all on-demand, so you can work out whenever it fits into your schedule!
There will be more Live (Beta) workouts coming soon, so keep your eye out. If you check out any of our Beta classes, we would love to hear what you think in the Official Tonal Community!
Coach Tony’s workout series is designed to build muscle, power, and full-body strength, and each workout will challenge you in different ways. You can do these workouts independent of one another, or try them as a series, to suit your goals. Coach Tony will be dropping fresh new workouts on Tonal every few months. Just one more reason to get strong with us.
- Fit Full Body — This workout hits the entire body with a variety of presses, pulls, hinges, and squats, while also increasing your metabolism. Blast calories and build muscle in one efficient workout.
- Legit Legs & Chest — In this workout, Coach Tony uses a leg and chest split to work most of your body’s major muscles. Alternate between upper and lower body movements and bulk up quickly.
- Legendary Legs & Core — Combine leg day with an intense core crusher! Work the major muscle groups in the lower body while ramping up your heart rate and building strength with each rep.
- Yoga Flex Flow — Enjoy some active recovery in the form of Vinyasa yoga. Improve your balance, flexibility, and strength while decreasing stress and creating an agile, healthy spine.
- Action Arms — Build unstoppable arms using dynamic weight modes on Tonal. Attack your biceps, triceps, forearms, and hand strength in this workout.
To celebrate the launch of Coach Tony’s strength training workouts on Tonal, we sat down to learn more about what being strong means to him.
What has been the most rewarding part of being a personal trainer?
I thoroughly enjoyed the process of getting fit, strong, and healthy, and decided that I really wanted to share that with others. I’ve been very fortunate to have impacted millions of people around the world. To hear their stories and journeys of transformation is the ultimate reward.
What drew you to focus on your physical wellbeing?
In my 20s and early 30s, my only focus was the aesthetic transformation that exercise and my not-so-healthy diet provided. Later, in my 40s, 50s, and now 60s, I care much more about how exercise improves the quality of my life, and my mental and emotional wellbeing versus aesthetics.
What is your coaching style?
I’d like to think that I have an upbeat, encouraging, and enthusiastic approach. I’ve never really been a fan of the “my way or the highway” drill sergeant method. It seems to have worked so far.
What does strength training mean to you?
Strength training is more than exercising to increase muscle strength and size. For me, it’s about building confidence and self-esteem.
What does Tonal mean for someone focused on growing strength?
Tonal is revolutionary because there truly is nothing else like it. It’s forty pieces of equipment in one. The programs, trainers, and versatility of this aesthetically beautiful piece of equipment can’t be matched.
You’ve always been a big advocate of using bodyweight exercises. Has using digital weight on Tonal evolved your thinking on this?
I’m still a big advocate of using bodyweight exercises, but I also believe that the versatility of Tonal enhances an individual’s desire to get stronger in a myriad of new ways.
What would a well-rounded strength-training routine look like, using your history in P90X®and with the future of Tonal?
Four out of five of my new workout routines on Tonal incorporate the best of both worlds, and the fifth workout is yoga. P90X® was effective because of the panoply of exercises and routines it provided for the user. With Tonal, you have an incredible diversity of strength training exercises, dozens of trainers, custom routines, yoga, cardio and so much more all in one beautiful and compact piece of equipment. In my opinion, variety and versatility are the name of the game: P90X® has both, and Tonal has it in spades.
For your loyal P90X® fans, what do you think they will enjoy most about Tonal and your programs on Tonal?
I’ve always been able to inject my humor and personality into my workouts, and that same kind of fun and enthusiastic persona continues on Tonal.
If you’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to work out with a celebrity trainer, this is your chance, our on-demand live workouts will feel like you’re in a class with Coach Tony. You can find his brand new workouts in the Tony Horton Live (Beta) row on your trainer, and remember to keep an eye out for more content from Coach Tony in the coming months.